Tuesday 30 June 2009

RAAM ends with transcontinental record after brave ride.

Taken from CTT web page


Ann completed the 3,000+ mile Race Across America but is classed as DNF as she was outside the time limit.
After a nasty crash around the 1,900 mile point and an 18 hour break
(trip to hospital etc) Ann bravely continued to acheive her aim.
Below is an extract taken from the Official RAAM site
The Briton, a long-time member of Gloucester RC, fought tooth-and-nail to stay in the race after sustaining several injuries crashing into a drainage ditch in Montana. Unfortunately, she narrowly lost out to the time limit, being ruled an official DNF in Rouzerville, PA, a mere 140 miles from the finish.
Despite this, Wooldridge fought on to finish “unofficially” in Annapolis and to secure the fastest crossing for a 50+ woman.
In this whole race, from all the categories, her story has been one of my favourites. I admired her quiet tenacity and focus while riding, while the fact she is a fellow Brit also helped to endear her to me; I was really hoping she would make the finish, against the odds after her nasty tumble. After coming so close to an “official” finish in Annapolis, we dearly hope she returns in the future to banish any unfortunate memories from this year’s race!

Also this:-
Ann Wooldridge could teach the world a lot. She rode to the city docks in Annapolis, MD last night and was cheered by about 150 supporters from the USA, Brazil, the UK and many other places. Team Can Be Adventures was there with both Daniela Figueiredo Genovesi and Janet Christiansen, who applauded and hugged this bike warrior Ann Wooldridge.
There was a lot of awe and many tears. Ann appeared frail in the least, shy and overcome. In all my years of involvement with RAAM I have never witnessed such a moment. I was alarmed at her state, but with time she spoke, she had a megaphone but was barely audible and a little time later she smiled, she knew she had accomplished something very special.
In RAAM, it is always a thrill to watch the first place finishers cross the line, but a deeper appreciation and understanding comes with the back of the pack. Ann was an official DNF in RAAM, but she still set a transcontinental record for women 50+ and she accomplished so much more than finishing what she set out to do. She inspired millions; she rode the good ride, the toughest race and then some.
To Ann Wooldridge I say thank you for demonstrating what is important and what can be accomplished with true grit, a gigantic heart and an unstoppable spirit.
Photographs HERE

2 comments:

  1. Hello.
    A slightly misleading headline I must say - my race did not end in tears at all! I was absolutely over the moon to get my Transcontinental Record which was verified as I crossed the line. In this photo - I was just so pleased and overcome by the reception I received. The tears were from Daniela, not me: we all knew the result would have been very different had I not crashed.

    Best wishes
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've 'adjusted' the headline. Congratulations on a brave and inspiring ride, Ann.

    ReplyDelete