Monday 23 August 2010

Handicap 10 A Ringers Story

Hef & Rich turned up to the wrong start point for the hanicap 10













The Night was wet.

I expected the throngs to turn up on mass just to see what they were given for a handicap. It never happened, with several categories already sorted as to who had won them. I had my money on Will pulling the handicap feat a second year running. As it was, “The Missile” scuppered his day! In what was one of his most impressive rides this year he almost beat Will on time as well. It would appear he had been sand bagging all year as well…

Will had been doing his quickest rides on Old Gore, so I knew he had more in the tank for Walford. As we had been so close all year, I thought it only fair to give him the same handicap as me. If it had been based on his Old Gore time then he would still have lost out to “The Missile” by 7 seconds.

Disappointed with his time “The Spin Dryer” took the 3rd spot on the podium. I was impressed with James on the flat bits. Willing to bet the 26 happen easy next year.

First Lady home, and forth-in handicap Mary still had her customary smile for the finish. The Scratch time everyone should have done was 21:37 by the way.

Tony “The Tiger” looked like he had gotten very wet by the finish. Time to shave them legs to be that little more areo. Me don’t ask, lets just say, my legs failed to fire till the turn.

Bill had a disappointing ride as sparing partner Mike “The Post” failed to turn up to sort out who came out best in the 753-points competition, it was that close.

“The Destroyer” turned up on his road bike with mudguard and wasn’t going to ride before he was talked into it. He had become complacent due to the fact he could not be caught in the yellow category of the 753. He even slowed down to walking pace to cross the line. Unluckiest rider of the night had to be Webb. He decided he didn’t need all the teeth on his block after chewing them off with a not quite so nice gear change. Rider of the night was “The Missile”. Next year I expect far more from you.

Thanks this week to Julie for timings. Steve Millard for the push to the monument and John & Audrey for the turn.

Please note the date of the Vintage Tankard and our hill Climb will almost defiantly be changing. The Vintage Tankard looks set to be on the 10th oct. The Hill climb a week later on the 17th

Out and about news

from Robin

Dear all,I am undertaking on the 25 Th September 2010 a 100 mile challenge in aid of Acorns Children' s Hospice, who support terminally ill kids and helping their families.The challenge involves; 1) 27 mile canoe down the River Wye 2) 60 mile cycle ride along the Wye valley, 3) Half marathon from Monmouth to Ross- on - Wye.I am hoping to complete this all in one day and in as fast a time as possible. If you feel you would like to sponsor me for this worthy cause, then you can send me a cheque ( payable to 'Acorns Childrens Hospice Trust' ) or donate cash to me in person.Please provide me with your name and address and most importantly your postcode to claim the all important Gift Aid.Every little helps this amazing charity.I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for reading.RegardsRobin Fletcher.0797 6370856

Message from Steve Millard
> Subject: Challenge Ride - 29 August 2010
>
> http://www.echelon-cycles.co.uk/challenge_ride.html
>
> Please have a look at the link and let us have your entry if you want
> a good morning out. The weather will be great this time
>
> Look forward to seeing you there.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Steve

Ps. I think the Family ride has been cancelled. Not sure why I know this as I can’t find a e-mail saying so off Steve!

No comments:

Post a Comment