Monday 7 May 2012

Cross Ash Hilly pained 25


After last year’s shenanigans, I was willing to bet someone wasn’t going to make the same mistake again of riding through the gravel at the start (for those watching, he did!).
Looking good at this point


The annual running of the Cross Ash Hilly 25 with a trophy up for grabs draws the real men/women of the sport for what I can only describe as purgatory. This year there were 6 gladiators up for the challenge. 


Somehow 2 of them were prepared to marshal/time keep, but were somehow coerced into riding. Was it because the conditions were not too bad with the sun out? With the seeding fixed, sorry I mean doctored, no I mean carefully planned, the mental preparation started with the old fashioned mind games. With the field split 50/50 between road bikes and TT bikes - which was the right choice?

One thing was for sure, Turbo Will made the right shout with him having passed everyone before hitting the back road to Monmouth. Having checked his data, he did not make that much if anything up in the first 5.4 miles, but then the climb up the Skirrid made an enormous chunk into everyone’s times. What was more impressive was the last 5 miles to the finish, serious power output, which in turn helped him smash the old club record for the course by 4 minutes.
 
First road bike home was Fallon senior, who did not look fast but soon disappeared into the horizon using a high cadence technique. Just wish I could spin my legs that quick.

Max was out full of enthusiasm. His 7 stone wet frame ready to bloody the noses of those with more brute horse power on the flat. Sure enough he floated past on a TT bike to claim the third spot on the podium. I must say, I was expecting to see a far higher cadence as he went by, but if that works for him then all well and good posting what can only be described as a very respectable time for a first outing on The Hilly.

As every event, “The Destroyer” and I locked horns. I chose the road bike, Graham the TT bike. I was willing to sacrifice some of my outright speed just to have a hope of getting up the climbs without making it look like I was doing a track stand. At the golf course, a glance over the shoulder showed “The destroyer” as very close, up the hills I just opened the gap slightly till we were

slowed because of traffic at the foot of one of the climbs. This gave us both the opportunity to see which was the best option up the climb, “I’ll see you soon” I said as I left him up the climb. About a minute later he went passed like I was stationary, “hasta la vista” I thought. As the next climbs came along, his poor legs were grinding to a halt, at about the same time as Fallon was going by. 

At this point the cycle shoes were getting some extra wear as he pushed up the hill.  Just to compound things he decided to go a bit further than the turn to have a straighter approach to the fork back up to the finish. This was the point where all my suffering seemed insignificant as he was off pushing again. Problems with dissipated power/the chain/block (Will & Cookies school of maintenance?) meant his fight with me was over.
That Broken look

“Wobbly Bob” brought up the rear on his first outing of the year, another not sure if he really wanted to ride, but did.  With lots of encouragement had to work hard to keep “The destroyer” at bay. Bill said “he’s on the way looking pretty red in the face”, this was half a mile away. As it turned out it was another cyclist in a red top. I think Bill’s glasses need a little check..

At the end of the day were still undecided whether a road bike or TT bikes were the way to go.

Thanks to Sammie for timing, it meant some of us had no excuses, Bill at the first junction, and young Fallon spotting.






Rider of the day has to be Will, with both Max & Fallon getting a mention.

No comments:

Post a Comment