Wednesday 1 September 2010

The Long Hill Climb

The Bovril event in my opinion, you either love it or hate it.

With the weather deciding we had to endure another wet night, only 7 warriors turning up to challenge the mountain that ascends all the way the to Ruardean. There were several groupies turned up to support the honourable warriors for the foreboding feat ahead of them...

The reality was it was wet. Signing on was wet. The ride to the start was wet. Funny enough it stopped raining for the start, but the road was wet. Once through the trees, it was like a different world. The sun was almost shining as we pushed through the cloud and fogginess of the bottom of the climb.

Young James warms up for the future

Fastest rider of the night was Will. Having done lots of training for the event, managed to go like a bullet from the start, cooking himself at half distance. Obliviously he did just enough to win, as the man mountain that is “The Missile” was only 7 second behind him. Congrats to Sam on the birth of another daughter. The sleepless nights may have just hindered a win…

A delighted James stood on the podium for 3rd spot, not a million miles from the two in front. “The Destroyer” turned up with his TT bike and aero wheels. We never actually found out if he got down in a aero tuck but was only 6 seconds behind James. I favour “The Destroyer” again next year for even more success over a larger range of events.

Young Alistair fancied his chances on the Longer hills, but looked slightly disappointed with the time at the end, only scoffing that he had got pay back for me beating him up steeper climbs. I won’t say I wasn’t trying, but I’m willing to bet I felt the most comfortable at the top. I could even have done it a again if I had needed to. I notice the Ross Gazette put my performance down to my age, as if?

Last home was Tony on his first outing up the hill. Afterwards I could see him formulating a plan for next time. Not sure what it was, but will probably be evident next year!

Rider of the night was Sam for moving such a large mass up hill at such speed.

Thanks this week to Dennis for pushing off. Julie and Mary at the start, with John & Audrey at the finish.

Next week is the KM sprint. Park sensibly. Not at the pub if you’re not using it or the village hall, where there were some very interesting yoga lessons last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment