Friday 17 June 2011

Old Gore 16/6/11 The Windy One

What a night if you like wind. I was sure we were going to get a good push home from the turn, but for once (and only the once) in my life I was wrong! What we really had was a Maelstrom out, with a gale force 10 on the way back.

Cookie just held Turbo Will off, this week opening the gap up a little. Cookie looked very fast at the cross over point, getting to the turn in 9 minutes which is 33mph average. Will was flying up the final climb, I heard a faint little scream, “coming by on your left” to which he went screaming by still on the tri bars. Me personally, I would have taken the shortest route passing me on the right…….

Dave H. who had to get back for baby sitting duties and job app writings wanted a early start put in a cracking ride considering he had no one to chase.

The Destroyer suffering from over indulgence failed to punish Dave instead retreating in to my grasp. Oh how I wish I’d put the 11 sprocket on for the outward leg. I have known the wind on the return a lot harder than that. Terry Gray was first rider on a road bike again, I think he likes the hills too so should be good in the road bike 10 next week.

Aaron was my target on the outward leg only losing out on top end speed to me. The Headwind home made him suffer bad, but once he got on the climb up to the finish he went mad. He spotted a moment of weakness in my hill climbing passing me 2/3rds of the way up. I thought to myself, I can’t have this so went into stealth mode sprinting up to the finish. He heard my laboured breathing and accelerated away from me with ease. This told me he was not trying hard enough up the climb. One should have ones lungs on the handlebars as you go over the line.

James "The Spinner" I’m going to assume suffered into the wind as conditions should have suited his high Spin cadence. Vorest rider Steve "Snake Hips" Williams looked stunned after the event just a gibbering wreck muttering something along the lines of “I can’t believe that wind” He certainly did not look impressed. Max crossed the line on the big ring moving quite well, just ahead of “Tail End Tony”. Once again Tony had had a puncture but on a more positive note, he’d not had too run to far this time to change it. Was it one of Cookie’s cast offs ? Postie Mike was chuffed to bits with his ride only seconds behind his best time for the last couple of seasons. Mary Munchkin was first out of the blocks, why does she always smile when racing? It was nice to see how well she came up the finish, alas the flatland in the wind doing the damage.

We thank this week Paul Fallon for the push at the start, John & Audrey for doing the turn With the 2 Julies at the finish.

Rider of the night this week was decided very quickly for a change, going to Harwood. (above shot)

Next week we will need a turn Marshal. General Will will be in charge with Julie giving him the orders. There will be a few faces missing.






The event is the Road Bike 10. Most of you know what that means. The rules

No TT bikes.
No Aero helmets.
No Aero bars.
No Deep section Wheels.
You may have a baldhead though!
No Shaven legs- carpet or similar must be stuck on legs if you lack leg foliage.(Tony – this is your night!)
You may have Shaven eyebrows after the controversy surrounding last year when someone used stuck on eye brows in scrutineering

Will & myself have managed to secure some prize funding (big numbers!) for the opens next month. What we’re lacking are a few volunteers. Please let us know if you can help out for the 10 or 25, which is including the south Wales Vets championship

Will, I’ll let you do the Blog as well, do you have access?












1

Alan cook

22:56

2

Will Bevan

24:14

3

Dave Harwood

25:01

4

Graham Carter

26:18

5

Paul Stephens

26:48

6

Terry Gray

27:44

C-o-B’s

7

Aaron Preece

27:46

RDFCC

8

James Wilson

28:13

9

Steve Williams

29:21

10

Max Suff

30:32

11

Tony Price

30:58

12

Mike Druce

32:02

13

Mary Middleton

39:15

No comments:

Post a Comment