Monday 22 July 2013

Marcle 3 lapper









Jerry in sight off the finish
3 laps Around Marcle is one of the more interesting events on the calendar. It showed a lot about the way everyone tackles the event. Near ideal conditions greeted 13 riders, just a slight headwind on the far leg to slow proceedings. Apologies for the initial results I worked out, I got Jon’s and Sarah’s wrong, but this has improved their average lap times…

Three riders managed to pace their laps to within 3 seconds, the first being our winningest rider Turbo Will. Will was a little disappointed with his ride, but with that sort of result, I’d have been happy. Will rides with power, so that slowest first lap could have been coming up to speed, the last lap, he was getting tired!


Next up was Millie. As he was driving home after he’d finished (I was still in action), I’ve never seen such a large smile in a windscreen coming the other way. The boy was happy to have gone under 50 minutes and scalped Jerry.

Jerry, looked in a world of pain, I’m sure, a little disappointed Millie went home with his scalp, then for me to pass him in the last mile. Another lap and I would have taken my minute back. I can picture him chuckling to himself as he’s reading it.

Happy chappy, a pb around there for myself, saving my best for the last lap, and watching Jerry explode in front of me. 

Don’t know why I was laughing, Taff, was a mere second behind me, having had a stonking ride. He was wondering if Julie had shown some favouritism, well I’d be the last she would show favouritism to. Needless to say, he was still very happy with that result.

Wobbly Bob showed great consistency, another within 3 seconds every lap, well actually, he had 2 laps with the same time, first and last lap, one has to say great pacing. The Spinner also showed great pacing, the track work almost definitely helping, saving the best for the last lap. I personally think the wind died down slightly the last lap, which would have suited the riders with less outright strength, as the wind doesn’t seem to affect the faster riders as much I’ve found.

Clive was the third person to be within 3 second for each lap. Clive seems to manage this most years, suggesting he really knows how to pace himself. Sarah’s going to be far more happy when she sees the lap times. Initially I‘d worked them out wrong at the rowing club (well I was slurpin beer and holding a conversation at the same time, multi-tasking yes, triple tasking no!). What I can glean from these, maybe a tad too fast first lap, middle lap a recovery lap.

Hmmm not sure about Richie’s laps, a first attempt at the event, will be very interesting to see how he tackles it next year. He’s getting stronger every ride, so I suspect a bit of mind wander, thinking about his next TV appearance.

Paul just scraped under the hour. He took umbrage when I suggested his average speed was down, which when we worked it out, he was right. Good lap times, exactly what I would expect. 

Looking younger than ever (must be all the racing) Jon appears to be really enjoying his cycling this year, pacing not a million miles off the mark.
New man Tim didn’t know what to expect of himself, so started at a pace he thought he could sustain for 3 laps. He seemed happy on his return, I think with a plan on what he’d do differently next time he rides.

Thanks this week lots of people. Julie timing, Dennis Beard spotting, Mike Dunsby on turn 1 (threatening to bring a brush next time) and Bill on the roundabout. Its an event we need the help on.
Rider of the night was Millie, just for the beaming smile.
 



1 comment:

  1. The last lap was slowest as I got stuck at two junctions!

    ReplyDelete